Sunday, February 8, 2009

Digestif

I spent some time in France the summer between high school and college. One weekend I was in Arles at an open air market, and behind several vendors' tables there were little wooden crates with bunnies in them. My friend Daniel asked me which I liked best, so I pointed out a small white rabbit with light brown patches. Daniel called out to his wife, "Jeannick! Sonia would like this rabbit for dinner tonight!"

Not what I was expecting.

Digestif in Old Town Scottsdale has more rabbit on the menu than even Daniel would require. I didn't try any of it, but it sounded delicious even to me, protector of all things cute and fluffy. The food is is definitely Italian inspired, but many of the items reminded me of something you might see in a French cafe. (Forest mushroom tartlet? Definitely not what I think of when I think Italian.) The restaurant has a quirkiness to it that my boyfriend says reminds him of Greenwich Village. At this time of year, the weather is perfect to sit on their patio, which includes a mural on one wall that is apparently a map of the Village.

The beer and wine list had none of the usual fare, which is definitely a good thing. Both of us were actually excited with our drink choices. (He had a Belgian ale that was outstanding; I ordered an unoaked Chard. Delicious.) The food was absolutely wonderful, very fresh ingredients, though the portions were a bit small. But with dessert, it was just the right amount of food. Just after we asked for the dessert menu, a server approached us with a dessert plate. The kitchen had made an extra chocolate mousse pie, their special for the night; would we be interested? It was an extra and already prepared, so it was on the house, she said. YES I'm interested! The chocolate mousse was infused with Grand Marnier, and served alongside it was a homemade orange marmalade with cinnamon ice cream. I can honestly say that's the best chocolate mousse I've ever had.

For our budget, prices were a little high ($10-$30+ for an entree) but it was well worth it. It's not someplace I could go to on a regular basis, as much as I would like to, but it's definitely good for a special night out. Bring a friend and enjoy.

Find It! - 7114 E Stetson Dr # 110, Scottsdale, AZ 85251. (480) 425-9463.
Photo credit BPhoenix

No comments:

Post a Comment